Anxiety. Panic sets in, and tension headaches overpower your brain. You toss and turn at night, sleeping maybe 45 minutes total. You clench your teeth throughout the day because your entire body is tense. This is your body under stress.
We’ve all been there, and for millions of reasons. The reasons don’t matter because our bodies all react in similar ways in response to stressful situations. The way we cope with anxiety is how we eliminate, or at least manage, that stress.
Everyone deals with stress in their own way. As long as you find healthy coping mechanisms that works for you, then stick with it.
I have found a few ways to manage my stress, and so far they have worked for me:
- Tea. Lots of it. Usually with lemon and honey.
- Yoga. Namaste. Meditation and breathing exercises are crucial for managing my stress.
- The occasional vent. Sometimes a girl just has to vent to a friend about what’s going on.
- A television show, movie, or standup comedy. I need something to keep my mind distracted, so watching something funny or lighthearted helps me. My favorite guilty pleasure show: Sex and the City.
- Writing about my stress. Once I get what’s in my head down on paper, I feel a miniscule weight of stress lifted off my tired shoulders.
- Walking out in the fresh air. Seriously, being outside is relaxing, especially when I’m stressed out. It calms my mind.
It’s taken me some time to find what works for me. Also, it can be tricky to deal with the stress right away. At times, anxiety can be overwhelming, and we have to remind ourselves to manage it, cope with it, and breathe.
When you’re stressed out, how do you cope?