I am officially refusing to scroll to the comments section of YouTube and any news website. My reasoning:
- With a world population of 7 billion (and counting), this increases the probability of stupid people on the internet.
- Our technology advancements allow billions of stupid people internet access.
- Some of these stupid people have laptops of their own.
- These stupid people may also have ample amounts of time.
- Stupid people are stupid for a reason; they may not have been taught “respect.”
- The simplicity of “type” and “post” is so simple that a stupid person can do it.
- Stupid people shouldn’t be posting most of the stuff they type.
Usually these stupid people take the form of internet trolls, lurking behind screens, causing havoc in the internet world. Their usual hiding place seems to be…the comments section of any popular YouTube video, news article, blog post, you name it. I do not understand the way these people work (thankfully), but they appear to have high numbers.
These internet trolls are not trying to contribute useful comments to an internet community or to an online conversation. What are their motives for typing and sending comments in the first place? One can only hypothesize. My theories include:
- Self esteem issues
- Pure ignorance
- IQ point deficiency
Unfortunately, because of the skyrocketing number of internet trolls, I have decided that my plan is to ignore the comments section of all websites except WordPress. I’d rather pretend the trolls don’t exist instead of reading their almost incoherent insanity. I’ll spend my time online reading articles and online caring about my own opinion. Sometimes it’s best not to feed the trolls. Maybe if people ignore them, we’ll starve them of internet attention and they’ll become extinct from the internet world like dinosaurs. One can only hope.